During the 14th week of pregnancy in addition to the periodic pulling pain in the abdomen, which is explained by the sprain holding growing uterus, you may experience back pain and headaches.
There are a great number of reasons for the emergence of unpleasant pain in the back:
- the body’s center of gravity is shifting during pregnancy. It increases the load on the lower back, which bends and the vertebrae of the lumbosacral are in an unnatural position, causing pain;
- in a short time the weight of the future mother has increased. And the load on the muscles of the musculoskeletal system which is not yet able to adapt increased too;
- if the expectant mother has a poor posture, and she is forced to spend a lot of time standing, this can lead to overloading of the spine and the lumbar and cause pain;
- during the pregnancy there is a great secretion of relaxin – the hormone that softens the pelvic bone to make process of passing the baby through the birth canal easier;
- the use of uncomfortable shoes, especially heels, causing additional strain on the musculoskeletal system.
To prevent back pain it is worth to do gymnastics for pregnant women, to pay attention to yoga and other relaxation practices, take a warm bath with herbs and oil, to spend enough time resting, to sleep on a comfortable orthopedic mattresses and pillows.
During the 14th week of pregnancy the headache can be similar to migraine, and it may appear suddenly. The cause of headaches can be hormonal changes in the body of the future mother, raising or lowering the pressure, hunger, visual or mental stress, physical stress, or fatigue.
To avoid these conditions, it is worth to relax, to go to bed early, avoid overworking, watch your diet and keep drinking regime. Do not walk under the scorching sun, and don’t attend noisy, crowded events and stuffy institutions.
If the headache is still present, do not take medication without the approval of your doctor, it is better to massage your head, get some sleep if possible, or at least to relax in a quiet and calm environment.
If the headache became almost constant or you suffer from a headache even in the morning, (immediately after waking up), the pain is localized in a particular area of the head, during attacks you have disturbed vision, hearing, speech, motor functions and sensitivity – you should seek the medical advice immediately.