On the one hand, it is believed that if you want something during pregnancy, it is something that your organism lacks of. But on the other hand, what if we talk about alcoholic beverages during pregnancy? For example, is it safe to drink beer during pregnancy? Is it worth it to listen to your body, if you wanted a beer?
Beer Lovers often comfort themselves with the fact that its consumption is even useful, as the beer contains vitamins of B group. However, if you want a beer during pregnancy, and you suspect a lack of vitamin B in your body, pay attention to other sources of vitamin B. For example sprouted wheat, liver, bran, sunflower and sesame seeds, oatmeal, beans, rye bread, buckwheat, leafy greens, dried fruits, nuts and other products are rich in it.
WHY IT IS PROHIBITED TO DRING BEER DURING PREGNANCY?
Absolutely all the doctors agree that drinking beer during pregnancy is harmful.
- Alcohol contained in beer, penetrates through the placenta to the fetus, causing oxygen convulsions of umbilical vessels, which can lead to fetal distress (hypoxia), and this in its turn can lead to abnormalities in brain and respiratory system development.
- Substances which are in beer violate the metabolism of the fetus, and violation may be so serious that in the first and second trimester of pregnancy can lead to miscarriage, and in the third trimester of pregnancy – premature birth. Also, this product affects kidneys, with the result that the mother and the fetus can develop kidney disease.
- In addition to alcohol there are large quantities of harmful to the unborn child fermentation products, such as:
- fusel oil.
These substances can cause more harm to the unborn child than alcohol.
- Hops, the main component of the beer, can result in the formation of pathologic adipose tissues in fetus.
The above mentioned problems often arise in cases where the expectant mother systematically consumes beer during the pregnancy.
IS IT SAFE TO DRINK NON-ALCOHOLIC BEER DURING PREGNANCY
If an ordinary beer is forbidden, is it possible to drink non-alcoholic beer during pregnancy? There is no alcohol! It is a mistake to assume that non-alcoholic beer can be consumed during pregnancy.
Yes, the presence of alcohol in such a beer isn’t more than in a yogurt. However, in order to give the desired shade and taste for non-alcoholic beer there are used flavorings, colorings and preservatives that are harmful to the organism of a future mother and a child.
WHAT IS THE DANGER OF DRINKING BEER DURING PREGNANCY
Normally, alcohol is metabolized in the liver and is inactivated by the alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme. However, the enzyme activity during pregnancy is reduced, so that a larger amount of alcohol remains in the blood, exerting a toxic effect on the body of the pregnant woman and the unborn child.
Symptoms of toxic effect may occur even when using a single glass of beer. They appear as:
- nausea and vomiting;
- severe headaches;
- signs of threatened abortion (abdominal pain, bleeding, etc.);
- severe weakness and other symptoms.
Regular and episodic beer consumption during pregnancy can lead to such consequences:
- syndrome of intrauterine growth retardation;
- chronic intrauterine hypoxia;
- placental insufficiency;
- the threat of pregnancy termination;
- craniofacial defects;
- damage of the heart and blood vessels;
- limb abnormalities;
- postnatal growth retardation and development.
The harm of beer for pregnant women is indisputable. Therefore, throughout the pregnancy it is necessary to avoid drinking beer.